5 End-of-Summer Cleanup Tips for Outdoor Entertainment Spaces
Updated: Nov 27, 2022
You’ve hopefully had a glorious summer with plenty of vacations and day trips to parks and beaches. But Fall is just around the corner and it’s time to get ready for the change.
One of the most important summer cleaning tips is to take care of any major jobs or repairs before the temperatures start to drop too low. This will allow you to enjoy the last of the beautiful weather while also taking care of those nagging tasks you’ve been putting off.
Here are 5 cleanup tips to help preserve your outdoor spaces through the winter so they will be ready to go when the warm weather returns.
1. Clean and Protect Decking
To prepare your patio or deck for fall, start by removing all the furniture from the area, as well as outdoor rugs, and sweeping it off, or use a leaf blower to remove all large dirt and debris. Then give it a good washing.
Note that keeping falling leaves off of your patio and walkways is important to help prevent staining.
Finally, most wood decks require a coat of wood sealer every other year to protect it from water damage and the sun — so your deck might be due for a coat Also, take this time to fill in any gaps or joints in your patio with poly, sand, or cement. If you have a masonry patio, sealing it will prevent damage from winter ice and salt.
2. Clean and Store Outdoor Furniture Cushions You’ll want to start thinking about what you’ll do with your patio furniture and other outdoor items. Give the furniture bases a good cleaning and consider moving cushions into storage to keep them safe over the winter months. An easier way to check this item off of your list is to call McCartin's to pick up your patio cushions for cleaning and winter storage. Make a reservation now.
3. Clean and Store Outdoor Rugs Don’t plan on leaving your outdoor rugs outside for the winter season. After you’ve removed them to clean the deck, clean them, roll them up, and put them in storage for the colder months. This will protect them from the weather and also protect your deck from being damaged by the extra moisture that may build up underneath the rug. McCartin’s offers outdoor rug cleaning and storage too. Call us at (215) 860-6955.
4. Remove and Store Outdoor Lighting Don’t make the mistake of leaving your outdoor string lights up all winter. The odds are great that the bulbs and wiring will get damaged by
wind, ice, and snow. Take the time to wrap them up and store them until next spring.
Fire Magic Grills - Robert H Peterson Company
5. Clean and Maintain Gas Grills Plan to give your grill a thorough cleaning at the end of the summer. Remove all the pieces that could be contaminated with food and grease, and empty and clean the drip tray. Once the grill is clean, check to make sure your grill cover is free of holes and rips. Cover the grill and tie down the base, so the cover isn’t damaged by the wind and weather. Make sure the propane tank is in the “off” position, and the supply line is disconnected from the grill.
Enjoy the rest of your summer, and remember we are here to help you with your some of these Fall chores!